Saturday, October 29, 2011

Satisfaction and Pleasure

What a year for canning! And it's not over just yet. I still have apple pie filling to put up and possibly some pumpkin pie filling as well. But lets take a look at what has already been done....

1 batch of Raspberry/rhubarb jam (raspberries were from my bushes)
4 batches of Raspberry jam (raspberries from my bushes)
51 quarts of peaches(about 120lbs ordered from our local grocery store)
41 quarts of pears(about 88lbs ordered from our local grocery store)
31 quarts, 13 pints of Apple sauce (from my tree and about 15lbs of apples from our fabulous grocery store)
11pints, 5 1/2 pints and 1 quart of My Salsa (I was getting low on jars)
10 pints of Grandma Kaye's mild salsa (all tomatoes from my garden)
8 pints of mixed Salsa (grandma Kaye' and mine mixed together)
13 quarts of tomato sauce (tomatoes from my garden)
5 pints apple/strawberry sauce(a selection from the 80lbs of orchard fresh apples in my garage and frozen strawberries)
7 pints apple/blueberry sauce(my favorite)(a selection from the 80lbs of orchard fresh apples in my garage and frozen blueberries)
8 pints apple/peach sauce(a selection from the 80lbs of orchard fresh apples in my garage and a few of my jars of peaches)
5 quarts, 9 pints of antipasti
40 freezer bags(2 cups each) of Taber corn
3 ice cream buckets of frozen crab apple slush
and a whole lot of garden carrots stored in my extra fridge in the garage

And now my shelves are full and pretty.See that little empty spot on the bottom shelf, just under the sleeve of the hockey jersey hanging there on the right? that spot is for the apple pie filling...I'm thinking that I'm going to have to rearrange some stuff to make a little more room. I get great pleasure from just looking at my shelves of food. It has been a satisfying canning year, and a successful one, I'd say.

1 comment: