Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Satan Bees

While my little brother was on his mission not too long ago, he wrote home about Satan Bees. I don't remember the actual story very well, but here is the guts of it. They were teaching a lesson to a family. Just as they were getting to the meat of the lesson and they could feel the Spirit testifying, the little boy got stung by a bee and there was weeping and wailing. Needless to say the Spirit of the lesson was interrupted. He then talked about how Satan will do just about anything to interrupt the Spirit from testifying of Christ or keep you from doing what he knows the Lord wants you to do.

For Christmas, we decided to pixie an inactive family with the 12 days of Christmas. The plan was that on the 12th day(Christmas Eve) we would round up 12 Christmas carolers(which wasn't hard since we were hosting Christmas Eve dinner for the Court family) and go sing to them. We would then introduce ourselves and invite them to come to church with us, or something like that. Well, our plan was ruined by the fact that there was nobody at home on Christmas Eve.

Fast forward to last week. Life got busy and we haven't yet finished off the 12th Day of Christmas. last Wednesday I decided that coming Monday would be the perfect day to finish it off. My plan was to bake cookies with the girls and then for Family Home Evening we would all go over and introduce ourselves as their Christmas Pixies. Friday morning we had the missionaries at our house and they shared a lesson and invited us to think of someone that we could have in our home to meet with the missionaries. I immediately thought of this family. At first I tried to push it out of my mind, with the excuse that we really didn't know the family yet. But then I stopped. I ever since this post, I have really been trying to listen to those little promptings and to act on all good thoughts. I decided that this must be what the Lord wanted me to do. So I began praying that the Lord would give me courage and help me know what to say and that they would be receptive and that if they didn't accept right away, that it wouldn't hinder our efforts to get them to church. Every time I thought about it(which was a lot) I would stopped and say a little prayer. I was starting to get excited and feeling more confident.

Monday morning came along, while I sat eating breakfast, suddenly I felt very sick. Which altogether wasn't surprising since Tansley had been sick for the past 3 days. As the day went on I got sicker and sicker. Cookies didn't get baked, and I certainly wasn't up to walking the 1/2 block to go visit with this family. How very frustrating. No worries, this little Satan Bee won't stop us, just delay us for a bit. We'll get it done next Monday at the latest.

2 comments:

  1. I have found a great Raid mixture to get rid of these Satan Bees. It is 2 parts faith, 2 parts diligence and 2 parts patience. Kill 'em every time (Alma 32:41-43)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once had a missionary tell me that throughout his mission every time he got ready to challenge someone to baptism the telephone would ring. Sure enough, I was out with them one night and that's exactly what happened!

    ReplyDelete