Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Garden Project

I was so excited for spring to come. I finally was in my own house with my own yard and I would be able to plant a garden in my yard. The past two years I have planted a garden in the yard of an elderly sister in our old ward. She only lived a couple of blocks away so in theory it was convenient. But two years ago at the end of June, I had surgery to have my gall bladder taken out, and that put me out of commission for 4 weeks, the weeds got out of control because it was too much for me to walk over with the kids and weed it. Last year I was extremely pregnant and again it wasn't so easy to do the weeding. Although both years the end product was very satisfying, just not so easy.
This year we have the yard...just didn't have the garden space. Well, we had the space, it just wasn't prepared to be a garden. So began the Garden Project. First we staked out the area that we wanted to have our garden. Then we sprayed the grass with round up to kill the grass. Because of the cool rainy weather the grass took along time to die. By May 12 the grass was dead and Daniel started to dig out the grass.

Daniel's part of the digging
He got about half way done, May long weekend, we went camping instead of working on the garden...and then it rained for a week straight. I wished for the rain to stop, but that is not a popular thing in this part of the world...farmers really need the rain. Finally the rain stopped and I continued to dig out the grass and attack the massive roots that lay beneath.
My progress
Our yard is lined on one side with huge poplars, huge poplars, oddly enough, have huge roots.
The first pile of roots that I dug out
It took me about a week and a half to get the grass dug out and the tree roots removed but late yesterday after noon, despite threats of rain, I removed the last of the nasty roots(and this was no easy task, but I AM WOMAN!)
The second pile of roots that I dug out
and the garden was ready to be rototilled.
The grass all dug out by me
After supper, Daniel borrowed a rototiller from an old friend, Paul Madge, and he commenced in rototilling.
Daniel Rototilling
Wow what a beautiful patch of dirt!
The freshly rototilled garden
Once I had the kids in bed, I was back out in the garden planting my Tomato plants. Three weeks and two days after we started digging, I finally got the garden planted. It's done...it was alot of hard labour, but I know have my very own garden in my very own yard.
My planted garden

8 comments:

  1. Yay!!! Are those jugs over the tomato plants? And do you keep making your very own banners? I'm going to have to learn how to do that. What's the big black box looking thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I'm so proud of you for being A WOMAN!!!  You have inspired me!  I hope that the weather holds out for the weekend and I can do some work on my little space as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yep those are tomato plants under the jugs. I also put them over my cucumber seeds. The big black box is my composter conveniently placed over a very large, stubborn root, that I figured would be easier to cover with the composter than try to dig out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did make my banner, It's a picture I took of our apple tree and then I used my photo editor to add my own text.


    ReplyDelete
  5. [this is good] Hey Mandy. GREAT work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always find it strange that you call him Daniel ... Seriously.  I know, I have issues.
    Anyway, the garden looks FANTASTIC!  I have contemplated doing square foot gardening for a few years now ... but I have this issue with being around during the summer - you know the whole, "I'm never in Texas to actually harvest" problem.  Oh well, my mother in law lays out a big enough crop for the both of us... I suppose I'll just keep laying siege to her harvest ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started calling him Daniel way back when because he hated it...it just kinda stuck after that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't hate it... it was more a copyright of my mom's until you entered the "Circle of Trust"

    ReplyDelete